Tuesday 24 May 2011

Imogen gave £1,000 to...




On a freezing night in February I came across a boy of 19 in Angel, sitting on the pavement crying with an empty cap in front of him. He had only a thin coat on. In an effort to help, I gave him food, a hot drink and then called a homeless street team who were dispatched to find him and give him a bed for the night. It had taken two months for a stranger like me to notice him. This struck a chord with me – especially when he said how lonely and scared he was. He was ignored and did not know how he would manage to eat or find shelter.

The charity Thames Reach is a London based charity that helps homeless and vulnerable people off London’s streets. They not only have street teams providing help, but also aid rehabilitation, through teaching and re-housing schemes. Since 2008, they have brought 2,000 rough sleeper off the streets and have helped 20,725 vulnerable people. My money will only go so far, but I hope it helps towards their vision of ending street homelessness.



This charity was set up in memory of a colleague of mine, Stephen Johns, who died of bowel cancer when he was just 26 years old. This was obviously a huge shock to family and friends as he was such a vibrant, active, happy and lovely man.

The Mr Brightside project aims to increase awareness of bowel cancer in those under the age of 50, encourage cancer research and provide support facilities to sufferers and families through difficult times. Stephen is very much missed, but not forgotten. His family continue to strive to make the charity’s goals a success.

As you can see, I have receive a personal note from Stephen’s family, which has made the gift even more special to me. I plan to partake in their sponsored events in the future and will continue my support.



Following a similar theme, I felt I needed to help overseas. I am sure many of you will have seen the documentaries about street children and orphaned children affected by AIDS, displacement and so on. SOS children’s villages help these children by taking them in – giving small groups of children the chance of companionship and a foster mother, who stays with them. They are given shelter, education and a good foundation for adult life.

I now sponsor a little girl in Malawi, Africa. Her name is Lucy Chimwenwe and I am told both her parents died in October 2010. She is only two years old and has survived this, and malnutrition. I am happy to say that now she is being cared for and has developed a healthy appetite for peanut butter. I am planning to write to her and send her some stickers to play with. I look forward to learning about her progress as she grows up and gains confidence.

No comments: