Tuesday 3 May 2011

Emma gave her £1,000 to...



My mum runs this amazing centre in Felixstowe, Suffolk. It provides transport, activities and on-site catering for elderly individuals in the local community who otherwise would have little or no outside contact.

These are people with active social needs but their activity is limited by reduced mobility or fear of our fast-changing environment and whose life-long friends or relationships have passed on and they feel alone, forgotten and frightened. The centre is run entirely by volunteers with wonderful compassion, sensitivity and patience.

I reckon that we all need a bit of human warmth and companionship sometimes. I hope that an organisation like this is around when my legs give out but I still need to hold someone’s hand and chat about my day.

As it turns out their fridge-freezer blew a gasket at the weekend and the cheque arrived just as they were pondering how to fund a replacement….weirdly prescient giving.

Emma

No comments: