Wednesday 4 August 2010

It's nice to be asked

Greenpeace have invited me to a party in Sipson at the end of August. That’s the place where the third runway for Heathrow Airport was to have been built if it weren’t for our successful campaigning (and the coalition Government).

Inviting supporters to do stuff and be involved is great. Asking them to actually come to a party or meet a beneficiary is normally a privilege reserved for people with 'major donor' status. I’ve always thought that this is nuts.

There’s always the irrational fear that if you invite thousands of 'regular givers' to visit your centre or project, all of them will say yes and swamp you. Some will, but most won’t. So I don’t understand why we don't ask donors to participate more.

I can't make the party in Sipson, and I bet most recipients won't either. But it made me, and I imagine many other supporters, happy to be invited.

And the people that do go to the party? Donors for life, I guess.

Mark

No comments: