Tuesday 8 February 2011

Work not like

In a world of social networks, everyone is talking about what they 'like'.

Which is great.

I like my friend's status update. I like that photo. I like that event. My taste – my choice.

In the world of charity and design and marketing and advertising, the question of taste becomes a tricky one. For 90% of the work we produce, nobody here at Open, and nobody at the charities we work for is the target audience. So what we like, or what our clients like isn't necessarily what will work – ie what our audience likes.

And surely what works is what matters.

So maybe next time you look at a piece of work, or next time you pass something on the street, instead of clicking the imaginary 'like' or 'unlike' button, reach for the 'work' or 'doesn't work' button instead. It'll be a much better measure of something that you're maybe not even supposed to like.

Richard

No comments: