Thursday 9 October 2008

Let the (Super)market decide?

I was recently apprehended and questioned in Waitrose for showing undue interest in these...


Excuse the blurry picture but my phone doesn't have a Macro setting. Anyway, this is a Waitrose charity token and you get given one whenever you shop. Then, on your way out you get to choose who you want to support by putting your token into one of three boxes.



While I was there, I watched about ten people (three of them children, who get a disc of their own when mum or dad shops) stand in front of the box and have a good think before they made their choice. It was fascinating to see how much time and thought they put into it.

Charities are nominated by customers and change every month. At the moment, from left to right, we have the local Age Concern, a local primary school (who need a new playground) and a local centre for people with learning difficulties. At the end of the month, Waitrose will weigh the tokens and distribute a thousand pounds according to their customers preferences.

First of all, hats off to Waitrose for giving away twelve grand a year to the local community and hats off to them for giving local people a say in how they give it.

But what Waitrose might not realise is that they have inadvertently created one of the coolest experiments in fundraising I have ever seen.

Let's start with the maths. Just look at those tokens. There are THOUSANDS of them. So I'm guessing that the results are statistically rock-solid. I mean, that's a near 100% response from a brilliant sample (Waitrose shoppers, for those of you outside the UK, tend to index off the scale on charity donor files).

On that basis I think we can say that, in this part of town at least, helping old people is more popular than helping people with learning difficulties which is, in turn, more popular than helping build school playgrounds.

But wait, there's more...

The person who tipped me off about this marvellous experiment earlier in the week told me that the people with learning difficulties were trailing a poor third. So when I popped into the shop I was expecting this post to be about how tough it is raising money to help people with disabilities (which I know isn't the same thing but that's what my friend had told me the third vat was for).

But when I got there, learning difficulties had surged into second place. Which makes me wonder whether, once they got to a certain distance behind, people started giving to them because of their lack of support.

So maybe this should be an article about how sometimes it's good to appeal on the basis that not many people give to you and that you're not getting your share. And come to think of it, having written more legacy appeals than I care to remember, I know that message can really work.

Of course, to test my hypothesis I'll need to weigh the discs daily. And while I'm at it, I'd like to try changing the copy and design on the top of the boxes which is rather dull.



I'll let you know what the manager of Waitrose says. Apart from "Oh. Are you that weirdo that our checkout manager apprehended taking pictures of the boxes?"

James

5 comments:

Howard Lake said...

Well done for taking three photos in a supermarket! I've tried photographing charity tie-ins e.g. Comic Relief paraphernalia in Sainsbury's, and hardly got to switch the camera on before being politely but firmly told by a staff member that this was not permitted.

Fascinating observations on those discs and donors' motivations. Thanks.

Howard Lake
UK Fundraising

James said...

Thanks Howard.

I should point out that as soon as I explained why I was taking pictures and that I loved the boxes, the lady from Waitrose was charm personified and told me all about the programme.

Which I suppose goes to show that the staff (sorry, partners - this is Waitrose) are really into it too.

James

Jiggott said...

That's £12K a year per store! The choices at the Chelsea Waitrose in September were the charity of the hospital I work for (The Royal Marsden Cancer Campaign), another local hospital and a local kids' scheme. Despite a poor start, The Royal Marsden came out on top, with about 60% of the tokens.

Tip for fundraisers: most of the checkout assistants will allow you to take a handful of tokens if you ask nicely.

Unknown said...

Hi James, our CTO just forwarded your post to me. Not sure if you have heard of ammado, but we are allowing people to slice and dice their giving budget into small portions, changing amounts and beneficiaries in an easy way. The intersting thing is that a so- called "giving circle" appears on the donor's ammado profile, clearly showing the categories the person has donated to. Here is a link to my profile, you simply have to scroll over the circle on the right hand side http://www.ammado.com/member/729. We only launched this feature very recently but it's already interesting to see what categories people prefer. What's similar to the waitrose example is that soon we will have an aggregated giving circle for the total donations which came through ammado and I'm already looking forward to seeing the allocations to different categories, the differences in countries and also how the categories change over time. Regards, Anna

James said...

Thankyou folks - and thankyou again Waitrose.

Anna, I've had a look at your site and it's fascinating. Can you get in touch on my email - james@openfundraising.com – so I can ask you more questions!

James