Friday 23 July 2010

Think it, but don't say it out loud!

Facebook has just reported its 500 millionth user, it knows more about me than my mother does (or apparently the government) and its privacy terms haven’t been very popular.

The other ‘big news’ about Facebook is targeted advertising. It’s undoubtedly very clever and will work with the right selections and creative.

I saw the above ad for Shelter the other day. It stood out because of the way it boldly states that they know I support Oxfam. The selection is spot on - I support one charity and therefore may well support others.

But it doesn’t tell me how my support of Oxfam is relevant. Given the amazing targeting Facebook offers, wouldn’t it have been more relevant to reference that I live in London and therefore see first hand the issues that Shelter deal with day in and day out.

I'm sure it will work out just fine - but I do wonder if it would be better if it wasn't quite so obviously 'big brother'.


No comments: