Monday 12 April 2010

Folake Gave £1,000 to...

Zimbabwe Association UK £500

I was moved by the plight of Stella Maravanyika – a human rights activist in Zimbabwe who was forced to flee her country. She came to this country as an asylum seeker and set up a drop in centre in Islington – initially to help women but then opened her doors to everyone. I really admire her as a person and the fact that she has gone on to help so many other asylum seekers get fair legal representation and the advice and support they need.

Stepping Stones Nigeria £500

Being of Nigerian descent, I wanted to give something back to country where my roots are. I saw a documentary about child witches a while ago and was really affected by it. I can't believe children are being maltreated and ostracized in this way – whilst their families and neighbours stand by.

The charity's main goals are to help give these children a second chance in life by putting them through school and giving them a safe home. They also advocate and campaign for the rights of children.

No comments: